11 April 2015

Review: Cinderella, Insurgent, Fast & Furious 7

Hey guys!

Been a while since I really posted anything without having Rama breathing down my neck (love you, Rams) so I thought I'd actually put in some effort and contribute (for once).

Basically, I've been going on what some might call a movie binge in the past two weeks or so. Now, I wouldn't really call it a 'binge' per se, but I've paid to see more movies in a cinema in these two weeks than I have all year, so just stick with me on this.

The three I have chosen to review are Cinderella, Insurgent, and Furious 7 (allow me to cry). Now, I know they might not be of any interest to you, but I've heard some pretty mixed reviews of all so I thought, why not put in my two cents? (Also, I like looking for the graphics haha).

Ok, so let's get started.

-


Cinderella 
IMDb: 7.5/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%
My Rating: 100%

Dude. DUDE. Dude.

I cannot express my absolute adoration and just complete ENAMOUR for this move. It's possibly up there as one of my favourite movies of all time. And that's saying something. Basically, it's a live-action take on Disney's original Cinderella (1950) but it's just so much more.

Lily James portrays the protagonist of the story, Ella, a young girl with a heart of gold, forced to live with her evil stepmother (Cate Blanchett) and her twin daughters after the deaths of both her mother and father. Forced into the role of a servant in the home, Ella stomachs her stepmother's and stepsisters' quips about her appearance and takes every task they throw at her with determination. Ella stays true to the movie's message; "have courage, and be kind", even when it all becomes too much for her to handle. Upon escaping into the woods, she meets a handsome stranger who goes by the name of Kit (Richard Madden). Entranced by this stranger, and excited at the prospect of seeing him at the Prince's ball, Ella works hard in order to persuade her stepmother to allow her to go to the ball. However, things get messy for Ella when her stepmother and stepsisters ruin her dress on the night, thus leaving Ella stranded at home. With the help of her fairy godmother (Helena Bonham Carter), Ella sets off to the ball in her majestic gold carriage and enchanting powder-blue gown and the story evolves from there.

(That was a really long rundown wow, I apologise). Ok so basically, it follows the original storyline of Cinderella, just with a few twists towards the end. Practically everything in this movie is perfect; from the casting to the costumes to the set design (trust me, you'll cry - everything is beautiful) to Helena Bonham Carter's puffy white dress all to the way to Richard Madden's crotch in this skin tight... tights. It's amazing, I'm so in love with it (I've watched it three times).

Go watch it in the cinemas, or download it illegally, I don't care what you do. I implore you to watch it. You definitely won't regret it.

P.S. You'll cry when you see the dress.





Insurgent
IMDb: 7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 31%
My Rating: 21%

Ok, honestly.

This movie disappointed me. I've read all of the books (although, I can't say I'm a fan of her last two), and I can honestly say that Veronica Roth only made it big because of her first book, Divergent, because the last two weren't all that interesting. But still, I expected the movie to be somewhat better than the book. But nup, the only thing I can praise about this entire series is their casting (but Divergent was a good movie. I liked Divergent).

Now, I know you guys probably have a different opinion than me, and that's absolutely fine. I ain't hating on you if you loved the movie, good for you if you did, you didn't waste $19. But I really disliked it. I mean, the casting was great, the storyline was a bit iffy, the script was blegh and the special effects? Jesus lord almighty, those special effects would've been more suited to a movie made in the mid 00's, not 2015.

Basically, it's a sequel to Divergent. Tris (Shailene Woodley), Four (Theo James) and their little protegee are in hiding in Amity. They get hunted down by Janine's (Kate Winslet) cronies and escape back into the city where they are sheltered with the Factionless. I can't really go much more into detail without ruining the entire movie, but rest assured that Caleb (Ansel Elgort) and Peter (Miles Teller) get an adequate amount of screen time each and there's a scene in there with a shirtless Four *wink*.

Highlight of the movie, to be quite honest.

I would say give it a chance if you've watched the first movie and you thoroughly enjoyed it, but don't expect it to stick to the books (because it didn't)(not that much, anyway)(i can't even remember).





Fast & Furious 7 
IMDb: 8.1/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 82%
My Rating: 87%

Before I start saying anything about the movie, let me just give you guys some background info on myself. I've been in love with the Fast & Furious franchise since the second (?) one came out. I LOVE CARS. Ok yeah. If you see any bias, feel free to slap me (virtually, please).

Casting: perfection. Set: mediocre. Cars: impressed. Script: laughable.

Usually, I love the Fast & Furious movies, but COME ON. "I don't have friends, I got family" REALLY GUYS? REALLY? If it gets any cheesier than that, I'm ejecting myself out of this theatre.

(It did)

I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about family about five times in the movie (each time made me subsequently want to neck myself)

But it's ok, because this movie is packed with so much action-y goodness, that it'll have you on the edge of your seats the entire time.

So down to it. This movie is pretty much the sequel of Fast & Furious 6 and Tokyo Drift. Owen Shaw's bigger, badder brother, Ian Shaw (Jason Statham) is back to get revenge on what the team did to his baby brother. Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his team, comprising of Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker *sobs*), Letty Ortiz (Michelle Rodriguez), Tej (Ludacris), Roman (Tyrese Gibson), along with supporting actors Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson), Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster) and the chick from Game of Thrones (haha, kidding), Megan Ramsey (Nathalie Emmanuel) attempt to stop Ian before he does some serious damage. Can't give away much without ruining the plot (how do people write these movie reviews wtf) but the movie has some pretty cool features (including but not limited to: skydiving out of a military aircraft INSIDE their cars, an R8, the Emirates towers in Abu Dhabi and a mad spaceship drone type thing that shoots out missiles. Oh, and a GTR. That they ruined. Smh).

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who's an action/adventure-type fan. But the best part of the movie definitely has to be the last five minutes when the tribute to Paul Walker comes on. I never thought a Fast & Furious movie would ever make me cry, but this one did. He was a phenomenal actor, and the producers quite possibly created one of the most emotional movie tributes I've ever seen (not that I've seen many).

I'm going to attach the video for See You Again by Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth down below, just seems right you know?

RIP Paul Walker.





Anyways, this post has definitely become WAY too long so I'm just going to finish it off. Let me know if you want to see any more of this, let me know if you hated it. If you've watched the movies, pop into my ask and give me an opinion on them. If you think my opinion was utter crap, then let me know haha.

Until next time!
Tina x


No comments:

Post a Comment